How to tell APT i've got emacs already

Hi folks,

For some reason I'd prefer compile my own emacs from source tgz, and
APT will refuse to install stuff like gettext-el, emacs-goodies...,
since it thinks that I don't have the required emacs ;(

So, is it possible to teach APT that emacs is already there although
it's not a deb package?

Thanks.

--Isaac

--

Isaac Claymore                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Dawning Inc.                    \ /    Respect for open standards