Re: newer generation of spam

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 12:15:42AM -0400, Graeme Tank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my Woody/stable box I've been able to effectively filter spam with
> bogofilter involked in procmail:
>
> However, I've been recently receiving an new class of spam that appears
> to be designed to evade spam filters that learn, such as the stable
> version of bogofilter.
>
> An example of this newer class of spam format can be found at:
>
>    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~graemet/newerspamformat.html
>
> Please view the page source (eg with your browser) to understand the
> spammers' strategy to evade spam filters that learn.

I first saw this strategy some couple of years ago.  I'm pretty sure that
it was designed to evade the old static word-list filters, not particularly
'learning' filters.

> I would like to know if there is a package in stable that could
> effectively handle this newer spam format (not likely is my guess)? If
> not, is there a package in the testing or unstable branches that would?

Lacking any specialized solution, I suspect that Bogofilter will eventually
handle them pretty well if you just keep training it.  You'll end up with a
huge spamlist database, but the broken-up word fragments will end up with a
spamicity rating very close to 1, won't they?  Because they'll never occur
in a legitimate mail...

	Cheers!