Software Wont Shutdown The Computer

The problem is that if there is a power failure my ups will shut the system down in an orderly fashion - switch to runlevel 0 ending with the message "power down" so nothing is lost but the computer sits there drawing power until the ups battery runs down.

I had this problem a year ago and a power management kernel option intended for laptops did the trick but now I can't make it work. It must be possible because that other operating? system can turn the computer off.

Can someone remind me of the trick to make the operating system turn the power off?

Tom George