Re: What's going on with "testing"?

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:05:16PM -0500, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:02, stan wrote:
> > On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 05:10:55PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 20 May 2003 15:39, stan wrote:
>

> > > Have a look at the output of 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' and look if there are
> > > no new versions of the packages being installed in the process. As I see it,
> > > the process is a little "unintuitive" at the moment, making apt-get display
> > > strange things. Perhaps package names have changed.
> >
> > OK, here it is:
> >
> > Script started on Tue May 20 13:59:31 2003
> > teddy:~# apt-get -s dist-upgrade
> > Reading Package Lists... 0%Reading Package Lists... 100%Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > Calculating Upgrade... Done
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   audacity avifile-vorbis-plugin burgerspace ethereal-dev freeamp
> >   freeamp-extras kdebase-audiolibs libarts-mpeglib libvorbis0 mp3blaster
> >   mpeglib mq3 oggtst pygame python-imaging python-imaging-tk python-pygresql
> >   synopsis synopsis-formatter-dot
> > The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >   freeciv-client-gtk freeciv-data freeciv-server libclan2-mikmod
> >   libclan2-sound libclanlib2 libdb4.1 libgal23 libgcrypt1 libgnutls5 libidn9
> >   liblzo1 libmysqlclient12 libopencdk4 libtasn1-0 libvorbis0a
> >   python2.2-egenix-mxdatetime python2.2-egenix-mxtools python2.2-mysqldb
> >   python2.2-numeric python2.2-numeric-ext python2.2-orbit python2.2-xml
> >   python2.2-xmlbase
> > The following packages have been kept back
> >   j2sdk1.3 kudzu libgd1 mc
> > 53 packages upgraded, 24 newly installed, 19 to remove and 4  not upgraded.
>
> Much stuff Deleted . . .
>
> > Look at all the ones mareked Remv.
> >
> > So when is this going to get better.
>
> When the maintainers of the packages that are being removed update them
> so that they will run on the current testing distribution.
>
> Your choice is between:
>
> 1.  The current testing distribution and doing without those packages
>
> and
>
> 2.  Keeping the older testing distribution and keeping those packages
>
> The lastest testing distribution AND those packages is NOT an option.
>
> madmac

OK, I must be missing someting here.

Lets say I have package a that debidns on lib b, at rev 1.0. now somebody
else, asy package c needs lib b a 2/0. so they package lib b at that level,
and put it in testing. Now I update my machine. Let's say I have package a
and c on my machine. Why cnat's the package managment software simply get
package c and the new lib b, install them, and leave the 1.0 version of lib
for package a?

Shared libraries do carry version numbers you know.

What am I missing?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin