Apache and PHP don't quite work

I just installed Apache 1.3 and PHP 4.2 from unstable.  The setup was fairly
smooth (I even added the appropriate lines to /etc/apache/httpd.conf and
/etc/apache-ssl/httpd.conf to load PHP and restarted the daemons).  But I
have two questions:

1.  I put this example code in an html file:

    <head>
        <title>Example</title>
    </head>

        <?php
        echo "Hi, I'm a PHP script!";
        ?>

The file opens fine, but I only get the page title (the PHP text
does not render)

2.  How do I tell Apache to only accept local connections?  I tried editing
the /etc/hosts.deny to block everything and then the /etc/hosts.allow to
allow only local httpd.  I tried to connnect from another machine and the
page came up.  Did I miss something?  (I ask because I will be using this
only for developing and don't want to have to worry about it too much).

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es