Can I trust pg_dumpall

I need to back up my entire postgresql database, and thought I would use
pg_dumpall. However I can't run the script. When looking at the script I
found the problem deals with the BINDIR variable. This variable is used
as the path of psql, and the path of the libraries libpq.so.* .
Obviously, these two paths are different (/usr/bin/ for the executable,
and /usr/lib/ for the libraries), and a single variable can't be used to
define both.

I could edit the script so that there is a variable for the binary
directory, and a separate one for the library directory, but this error in
the script makes me wonder if its author actually knows what they are
doing. Can I trust pg_dumpall to make a usable backup of my database
(provided I make the needed changes)? Is there another tool out there I
should be using?

Thanks,
Rob Mosher