Re: Making Free Software Collection CD

The address you (and some others) are looking for is:

http://www.theopencd.org

(You gotta include 'the' at the beginning.)

But as was already suggested, check out GNUWin's list of programs too:

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/en/index.html

Also, why not just give them Disc 1 of Debian 3.0r1 too? That's sufficient for a basic system that'll boot into Gnome/KDE and can configure their net connection. From there they are set. You should tell them to read the installation directions, especially the bit about partitioning, but otherwise, the installer has gotten quite friendly.

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

I am scheduled to give a presentation in one of my courses in a couple of
weeks.
I will be presenting a comparison between proprietary software licenses and free software licenses. I wanted to make up a collection of free software to
put on CD and duplicate to pass out to the members of the class to give them
something to try out.  It is a safe assumption that every single person in the
class is a Windows user and would not be comfortable with a new OS right off
the
bat (that rules out Knoppix).  These are the programs that I have so far
(all for Windows):

OpenOffice.org v1.1Beta (becuase of the nifty extra features over 1.0.3)
Mozilla v1.3
Audacity
GIMP

That covers about 90MB, so what should I put on the other 610MB?

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es