Re: best way to set new console fonts?

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 08:18:31PM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to change my console fonts so they are a little smaller and
> more usable. But I'm running into some problems here. I read about
> SVGATextMode and I decided to try it out and it works with some modes,
> but the refresh rates same to be a bit low and I have no idea what I
> should pick for the "clocks" part, cause as far as I can find, there is
> no way of getting the Clocks timings for my nvidia geforce4 (ti 4600).

I'm afraid you may be out of luck with this card. man stm makes no
mention of anything nvidia more recent than the RIVA128: svgatextmode
froze in 1999 and anything newer than that is likely to require a
ClockProg to be written for it, at least. I have done this for the
SiS6326 (fairly easy <= datasheet available) and am in process of
doing it for the ATI Radeon (harder <= need to pull apart X driver
source). The latter option might just be possible but probably is not
very easy (doing a quick grep of nv driver source).

> I'm kinda looking for somebody who can give me a working timings list or
> maybe some other way to set other console fonts (other than the standard
> 80x25).

I think framebuffer is your best option.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons