Re: i2c

Jim Bowering <iamb@otvcablelan.net> writes:

> apt-get install i2c-2.4.20-1-k6
>
> it responds with:

>   kernel-image-2.4.20-1-k6
>   i2c-2.4.20-1-k6 kernel-image-2.4.20-1-k6
> 0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11  not upgraded.
> Need to get 9568kB of archives. After unpacking 26.1MB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> Before I continue, I'd like to know if this is going to replace my kernel
> and whether it will do it safely.

Sort of, and yes; it will install the 2.4.20-1-k6 kernel alongside
your existing kernel and set it to boot by default.  But if that's not
the kernel you're already running, why are you trying to install that
particular i2c package?  (If you're consciously trying to upgrade,
that's fine.)  If you're running a custom kernel, you want to build
the modules from source using the i2c-source package.  The stock
kernel may also have an older version of i2c modules included.

	-- Abra Mitchell