From: Derek Chew En-Hock [mailto:sdchew@ieee.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 2:15 PM
To: debian users
Subject: Multiple Network Cards in Debian

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install Shorewall firewall on my debian machine therefore I
am installed 3 Intel 10/100 Ethernet Network cards on my debian box and they
seem to be detected properly on the machine (ifconfig -a lists all the
network cards)

my problem is how can I setup Debian to automatically initialize all three
network cards upon bootup? so far, after I boot, I can start the other 2
network cards manually by issuing the commands 'ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1'
and 'ifconfig eth2 10.1.2.1' and pinging indicates the cards are working
well...

I tried to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and added the other 2
network cards by following the format of the first one but the end result is
all 3 network cards refuse to start up when the machine is rebooted...

I also did some digging on the newsgroups and found someone mentioning
something about /etc/init.d/network but that file doesn't exist for me

any hints or advise will be greatly appreciated!

- Going to 2 month old Debian Newbie!

--
Best regards,
 Derek                          mailto:sdchew@ieee.org