Re: mencoder: Converting divx to mpeg for VCD

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 06:50:35AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Considering there is a very large lack of anything on Google about the
> topic other than noise and dead ends, I'm definately going to close
> this off.  (Rememver SOLVED: posts on those pesky problems, people!)

I use this to get from an AVI file to a MPEG stream (this is wrapped, of
course, you couldn't type it this way):

$ transcode -i input_file_name.avi
            -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc
	    -V
	    -Z 352x288
	    -w 1150 -b 224,0,5 -E 44100,16,2
	    -o output

That gives "output.m1v" (the video) and "output.mpa" (the audio), which I
then mplex back together with tcmplex.  I use vcdimager to get the bin/cue
I need (since I usually do a menu or a fancy still or something), and out
comes a burnable VCD.  Scale it differently, of course, if you want a SVCD.

Every time I've ever tried to go from AVI to MPEG with mplayer and friends,
I either can't maintain audio sync, or the video turns purple or something.
I eventually gave up.

YMMV.

--
 Marc Wilson |     BOFH excuse #290: The CPU has shifted, and become
 msw@cox.net |     decentralized.