PostgreSQL and PHP

I think I'm either missing a package or I have something funkified in my
config(s) somewhere.

I've installed the following packages on my system:

libpgsql2					install
php4-pear					install
php4-pgsql					install
postgresql					install
postgresql-client				install
postgresql-contrib				install
postgresql-dev					install
postgresql-doc					install

Whenever I try to connect to PostgreSQL, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_query() in
/var/www/common.functions.php on line 8

A call to phpinfo shows that Debian's PHP was compiled --without-pgsql.
However, it shows the following:

-------------
PostgreSQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Directive         Local Value     Master Value
pgsql.allow_persistent On            On
pgsql.max_links        Unlimited     Unlimited
pgsql.max_persistent   Unlimited     Unlimited

POSTGRES_INCLUDE /usr/include/pgsql
_ENV["POSTGRES_INCLUDE"] /usr/include/pgsql

/usr/include/pgsql did not exist, but /usr/include/postgresql did, so I
created a symlink.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I'm sure
I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks.
--
steve