Issues with pine (, openwebmail, postfix)

I installed pine on my debian (woody) box, and changed very little from
the initial configurations.  I'm running into a frustration, where every
time I open pine, pine grabs the email from /var/mail and dumps it into
saved-messages.  The inbox contains all the emails from saved-messages.

If I try to open saved-messages, pine reports that "another email
program is accessing Inbox, session is now read only."  Then it reports
that it is trying to get a lock from process 505 (or whatever process
pine is running under).

This wouldn't be so aggravating, except that I'm also trying to setup
openwebmail, and openwebmail's inbox only contains whatever emails are
in /var/mail (which contains only email that has arrived since the last
time pine was opened by that user).  This means that to access any email
via openwebmail that was looked at prior to the last time pine was
accessed, the user has to go to the saved-messages folder.

I've been googling for some time now, but to no avail.  I'm only
assuming that the problem is with pine, but for all I know it could be
with postfix or openwebmail.  Does this problem seem familiar to anyone?
Any help?

(I didn't think it appropriate to include the entirety of pine.conf
here, but if you think it would be helpful, I'll put it up and post a
link to it.  Pretty much everything is empty (e.g.

somevariable=

))

Jun-Dai Bates-Kobashigawa