kernel compiling problems (was Re: howto detect a parallel iomega 100 mb device)

http://www.iomega.com/europe/support/english/documents/10661e.html

> > I tried the following without success:
> >
> >   modprobe imm
> >   modprobe ppa
> >   modprobe vfat
> >
> >   mount /mnt/zip100.0
> > mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as
> > block device (maybe `insmod driver'?)
> >
> > The warning of mount suggesting insmod isn't
> really
> > helping me :
> >
> >   insmod imm
> > insmod: imm: no module by that name found
> >
> > In modconf, under block devices, is the only thing
> > that shows up "nbd", for "Network block device
> > support"
> >
> > The laptop has a 2.2.20 kernel.
> > Can anybody help please?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joris
>
> Hi Joris,
>
> sounds like your kernel wasn't built with support
> for imm or ppa.
> You can find a nice howto here:
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html
> You will have to read chapter 3 carefully and
> probably build a new kernel.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Michael
>
> BTW: http://www.tldp.org/ is a great ressource for
> documentation all
> around linux.

I don't really like having to try a compilation...
Anyway, I got the 2.4.18 source and I did the
following
 make xconfig
 make dep
 make clean
 make  zImage 2>&1 | tee zImage.out

Unfortunately, that last command stops with an error
:-(

tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out
CURRENT > zImage
Root device is (3, 2)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 4656 bytes.
System is 680 KB.
System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
[make errors]

I copied the kernel config of the current 2.2.20 and
added support for scsi as the document you pointed at
suggested - and I added some sound support as modules
are missing there, too.

What should I do ?? I don't know what exactly is too
big, nor what I should do to solve it;

I hope someone can help on this !

Thanks,

Joris