Re: Problems with a2ps.

Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:

> a2ps has no dependancy on cups but does recommend lpr, which does have
> lp.

I just checked the file list on debian.org. lpr doesn't seem to have an lp
command, but cupsys-client and lprng do. If a2ps is going to continue to
use lp instead of lpr, it should recommend cupsys-client or lprng, not lpr
(the a2ps package in stable uses lpr, there was a change in a2ps between
versions 4.13b-16 and 4.13b-19 that broke things).

Does anyone happen to know what printing package tasksel usually installs
(it used to be lpr)?

> What are you using for printing now?  Do you have lpr installed?
> (dpkg -l lpr) If you have lpr installed you might try re-installing it.

I'm using lpr (and have been since I first installed potato). Since there
is no lp command listed for the lpr package, how would re-installing it
help? Would an lp command get created in a script but on listed in the
list of files?

> The 'lpr' and 'cupsys-bsd' packages both have the lp command.  Don't
> know about 'lprng' as I have never used it.

A previous version of lpr may have had an lp command, but versions
2000.05.07-4.20 (testing) and 2000.05.07-4.3 (stable) do not have one
listed.

Thanks for the ideas. I really appreciate them.

Brian