aic7xxx under 2.2.20 vs 2.4.xx

New to Linux (so please have mercy :->)...have been
playing with many flavors/versions over past few
months including suse 8.0/mandrake9.0 and Debian
3.0/R1.

This is on a Giga-Byte SIS648-based board with 2.4G P4
CPU and 2 IDE drives/2 IDE CDs (one recordable, one
read only) and an old adaptec2940UW scsi card.

I've had the usual boot problem (taking 20 minutes to
boot because of probing/reseting this scsi card) and
have read enough to know that the 'real' problem is
out-of-date bios on the card.  I've tried to flash the
card bios (the "real" solution) but I must have one
that can't be updated as I've yet to be successful so
I'm stuck trying to make it work in current set up.

Working with Debian's 2.2.20 kernel I can get the
aci7xxx=no_reset option to work and the machine boots
'normally'.  However, using 2.4.xx kernel I have not
been able to get the no_reset option to work and if I
remember/understand correctly it's because of changes
in how that driver is being loaded (between 2.2 and
2.4 kernels)...as module instead of compiled into
kernel or something like that.

Finally, the question:: Is there any way to get the
2940 (with old bios) to boot 'normally' using 2.4
kernel, specifically Debian/woody 3.0 r1 bf24 kernel??

Thanks in advance.
Gary