Re: Kernel 2.4.20 compilation errors

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 02:14, Tom Verbreyt wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In the past, I've succesfully compiled kernels many many times. Which
> doesn't make me an expert, I just follow my own usual recipe without
> really understanding every single option I select, and things work out
> quite good.
>
> This morning however, I'm trying to compile a 2.4.20 kernel, and time and
> again, I get these errors when make-ing a bzImage:
>
> In file included from ide-cd.c:318:
> ide-cd.h:440: error: long, short, signed or unsigned used invalidly for
> 'slot_tablelen'
> make[3]: *** [ide-cd.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/.../drivers/ide'
> make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/.../drivers/ide'
> make[1]: *** [_subdir_ide] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/.../drivers'
> make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
>
> After that, of course, I get kicked back to my prompt.
>
> Has anyone experienced the same behaviour? What am I doing wrong? I don't
> recall having done any different configuration than previous compilations
> on other machines - I don't understand why this is happening. And since
> I'm not a programmer at all, I'm quite, ehm, flabberghasted.
>
> So I was hoping someone could shed a light on this.

Hi,

I successfully built kernel-source-2.4.20 2.4.20-6, including
compiling ide-cd as a module.

Here's what /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/drivers/ide/ide-cd.h:440 looks
like in my source tree:
    __u8 short slot_tablelen;

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |