Re: making postfix an open relay

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 03:17:03PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Whereas people outside our LAN can't send mail to anywhere (except our
> domain), I want to make it an open relay and then progressively tighten
> it down.  Provided below is the output of postfinger.  I would have
> thought that by commenting out the smtpd parameters, I would make it an
> open relay, but apparently not.  What can I do to open my postfix
> server to the world!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curtis
>
> --System Parameters--
> mail_version = 1.1.11
> hostname = atlantica.npc-usa.com
> uname = Linux atlantica.npc-usa.com 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT
> 2002 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

You're kidding, or you don't understand what you are talking about. How
would you tackle the tremendous task of explicitly disallowing access
_everyone_ in the world who has no business with your servers? Pipe the
debian lists traffic through a filter and compile a list of all servers
used to get a grip on what you are planning. Note that the list is not
static.

Paul Johnson has already given an alternative. If you follow through
with your initiative, you'll possibly fall into a black hole fast enough
to make you hold on to your pants.

Cheers,
Nick

--
|                  And AC said: "Let there be light!"                  |