Re: making postfix an open relay

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 03:17:03PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Whereas people outside our LAN can't send mail to anywhere (except our
> domain), I want to make it an open relay and then progressively tighten
> it down.  Provided below is the output of postfinger.  I would have
> thought that by commenting out the smtpd parameters, I would make it an
> open relay, but apparently not.  What can I do to open my postfix
> server to the world!
> Thanks,
> Curtis
> --System Parameters--
> mail_version = 1.1.11
> hostname = atlantica.npc-usa.com
> uname = Linux atlantica.npc-usa.com 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT
> 2002 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

You're kidding, or you don't understand what you are talking about. How
would you tackle the tremendous task of explicitly disallowing access
_everyone_ in the world who has no business with your servers? Pipe the
debian lists traffic through a filter and compile a list of all servers
used to get a grip on what you are planning. Note that the list is not

Paul Johnson has already given an alternative. If you follow through
with your initiative, you'll possibly fall into a black hole fast enough
to make you hold on to your pants.

|                  And AC said: "Let there be light!"                  |
|                        And there was light...                        |
|                                      (Asimov, 1956)                  |
| Nicolas Kratz <nick@ikarus.dyndns.org> <n_kratz@cs.uni-frankfurt.de> |