Re: Write in NTFS filesystem

Hello Ernesto

> It is possible to write in a NTFS filesystem (windows XP) mount in Debian
> with Kernel 2.4.20?

It is possible, yes, but it is dangerous. If you have the kernel sources
installed, read
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ntfs.txt
If not: It is considered highly experimental and a write operation can (but
does not have to) destroy the filesystem, which can result in severe data
loss.

> If it is possible, how?
You need to have ntfs write support enabled in the kernel I don't think the
standard debian kernel have it enabled by default.

grep NTFS /boot/config-`uname -r`

will tell you something like that:

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_NTFS_RW is not set

In this case you have read, but not write support enabled.
If you want to exchange data with a windows installation on the same box, I
recommend a small fat32 partition, which both windows and linux can
read/write.

hth

joerg
--