Re: VPN

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 10:39:39AM +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
|Hi!
|
|I'm still wondering how far VPN is a standard, because I need a Linux
|replacement for a Cisco VPN client, which is AFAIK only available for
|Windows anyway. So, iIs there a compatible client I can use?
|
|Also I noticed that there are a lot of different free VPN
|clients/systems. Has anybody made experience with some? Pros/Contras?
|The Linux VPN Howto I read seemed to be a bit outdated.

be aware that ipsec is for static ips. that is, firewall to firewall
encryption. no nat.

I like vtun (vtun.sf.net) and openvpn (openvpn.sf.net)
for the easy install. in the kernel space, there is only
the tun device to compile, and it's some plug and play software.

cipe (http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html,
http://cipe-win32.sourceforge.net/) run on win NT and 2000,
and the two others don't.

vtun, openvpn, cipe use a udp port. means it can goes trough firewall
more easily.

the cisco vpn can also use a udp port. (ie ipsec over udp 10000)

ps : yeah, i'm late :-)
--
xavier