RE: M$ licenses Unix

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 20:37, Wathen, Metherion wrote:
> I read somewhere that Linux was/is based on Minix, where does
> that figure into all of this?
> I realize it may be a Unix variant but to what degree of
> separation?
> Should I be concerned that one day in the near future Linux
> will no longer exist as an operating system?

Linux is a reaction to minix, not based on (not on code anyway, maybe on
some idea's, but more in general, unix idea's)

Try googling a bit for the linux / minix history and maybe for
"Tanenbaum and Linus"

http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/Linus_vs_Tanenbaum.html

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT