Re: RAID and preferable file systems

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 12:45, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2003-05-20 11:48:56, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > This is more for mental future reference - are there any filesystems
> > that are better choices on RAID (or certain RAID configurations) and any
> > that are absolutely horrid?
>
> If raid means large partitions to you, I would use a journaling file
> system (i.e. not ext2).  And if you consider expanding the fs live make
> sure the fs support that.
>

> /Allan

No - for me it means Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives - with
emphasis on the redundancy and the ability to replace (hopefully
hotswap) and rebuild/maintain data availability. I've done a couple of
servers with RAID1 running ext3, but I haven't actually seen anything
about good/bad filesystems in that environment, and I am looking at a
project which leans to RAID5, which has me trying to find useful
information before bidding on the installation (aka, is it going to be
more of a pain than it is worth?)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org