Re: Backing up all files on hdd

Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:
Roberto Sanchez <mailto:rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> schreef op maandag 19 mei 2003
21:43:

If you have another drive that is larger than the one your system is
on, you can do something like this (substituting for your
corresponding partitions):
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1

or, to save an image if somewhere, dd if=/dev/hda1
of=/some/other/drive/file.ext
Swap the second drive into the spot of the first and toss the old
drive.
-Roberto Sanchez

My server has only one hdd, it has no cd-recorder so I want to backup to a network share in windows xp, //WILLEM-JAN/backup/

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=//WILLEM-JAN/backup doesn't work, it says "no such file or directory". How can I make a backup from my hdd to //WILLEM-JAN/backup/

Be really careful about this: you'll lose Unix file ownerships nnd protections, because the target filesystem (FAT32 most likely) doesn't have those.