Re: Backing up all files on hdd - dd'ing - boot

dd works best for identical drives, as you will also copy any drive
geometry stuff in the MBR to the new drive, though you can set that up
again.

I remember reading about how dd will copy the bad sector list as well,
which is not desirable.

My preferred truly clean way is to boot linux from a cd, recreate the
partitions and filesystems on the new drive by hand, restore the
tar/cpio/dump/other to the partitions one at a time, mount the new
drive somewhere and do a "/whereyoumountedthenewdrive/sbin/lilo
-iforgettheoptions" or grub or what have you to lay down a boot sector.
That last step is essential; the lilo in the filesystem you restored
must be used unless you are using an identical version of lilo on the
boot cd or you will have errors booting.