Re: Packages debian needs

--- Peter Whysall <peter@whysall.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 16:47, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 May 2003, Timothy Webster wrote:
> >

> > > 2) BackupPC
> > > Currently the best why to backup M$ PCs, IMHO
> > > At least until someone builds a proper backupfs.
> If
> > > you are interest in building a proper backupfs,
> let me
> > > know. I would start from reiserfs4. Anyway that
> is an
> > > other discussion.
> >
> > In the year 2003, linux reinvents the VMS FS.
> >
> > For those not-in-the-know, VMS had a rather nifty
> filesystem,
> > which included a built-in equivalent to RCS -
> whenever a file was
> > edited, the old version was automagically saved
> with the version number.
> >
> > Also had journelling capabilities.
> >
> > Was a pretty nifty OS, from what I heard, wish I
> had a chance to use it
> > when it was still around.
>
> It still is :-)
>
> One of my hats at work is VMS sysadmin.
>
> VMS has a deserved reputation for stability and
> manageability. It'll be
> around for a few years yet.

I will bring the topic of backupfs after Reiserfs4 is
released. I only used VMS a couple of times and never
had a chance to use if fully. I also need to finish my
current project which runs to the end of June.

User / Client software sees the complete files from
each backed up host at each backup interval.
Lots of duplicate files, not necessary with the same
name. Each duplicate file might have be owned by
different users. So this to this point it is a normal
extremely space wasteful backup. Imagine backing up a
office full of windows machines. ACLs would be nice,
Reiserfs4 has ACLs.

Under in the real fs, hashes combined with file size,
are used to identify unique files. Only these unique
files are stored. This concept can be extended to file
chunks.

Things needed;
-chksum file property just like file size (not part of
reiserfs4)
-bidirection links
-hidden directories
-viewing a directory as file returns, byte sequence of
the files contents in the directory.

Implementing file chksums in reiserfs4 is not a
trivial undertaking. Of course this will need to be a
mount or newfs selectable a feature.

Later things like encryption can be added when
reiserfs acquires these.

Just my thoughts,

-tim.