Re: OpenAFS trouble

David,

* David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> [2003-May-19 12:33 AKDT]:
> Hmmmm.  What does 'pts exa cswingle' say?  'pts exa 1112'?  'pts mem
> system:administrators'?  Does 'fs wscell' report the same cell on both
> machines?

Here's what they say on the server:

    cswingle@friend:~$ pts exa cswingle
        Name: cswingle, id: 1112, owner: system:administrators,
        creator: cswingle.admin,
        membership: 0, flags: S----, group quota: 20.
    cswingle@friend:~$ pts exa 1112
        Name: cswingle, id: 1112, owner: system:administrators,
        creator: cswingle.admin,
        membership: 0, flags: S----, group quota: 20.
    cswingle@friend:~$ pts mem system:administrators
        Members of system:administrators (id: -204) are:
        cswingle.admin
    cswingle@friend:~$ fs wscell
        This workstation belongs to cell 'frontier.iarc.uaf.edu'
    cswingle@friend:~$ tokens

        Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

        User's (AFS ID 1112) tokens for afs@frontier.iarc.uaf.edu
        [Expires May 19 17:11]
        --End of list--

and the client:

    cswingle@enemy:~$ pts exa cswingle
        pts: security object was passed a bad ticket so couldn't look
        up names
    cswingle@enemy:~$ pts exa 1112
        pts: security object was passed a bad ticket so couldn't look
        up names
    cswingle@enemy:~$ fs wscell
        This workstation belongs to cell 'frontier.iarc.uaf.edu'
    cswingle@enemy:~$ tokens

        Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

        User's (AFS ID 1112) tokens for afs@frontier.iarc.uaf.edu
        [Expires May 19 16:30]
        --End of list--

> > There isn't any sort of host level key exchange going on is there?
> > Do I need to tell the server machine about my hosts somewhere?
>
> You only need to tell one machine that another exists if it's running
> a server of some sort; clients don't need to be registered with the
> AFS server(s).

That's good to know.  Thanks a lot for taking the time to read all this
gibberish.  It really shouldn't be this hard. . .

Tomorrow I'll try setting up another client and see if I did something
wrong on enemy.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: