Re: Backing up all files on hdd - dd'ing

On Mon, 19 May 2003, [iso-8859-1] Roberto Sanchez wrote:

>  --- Willem-Jan Meijer <meyer3@chello.nl> escribió: > Hello all,
> >
> > My hdd is producing noises I don't like so I think it's time to make a
> > backup. I want to backup all files, directories and so on, something like
> > norton ghost for M$. So that after my hdd dies I only have to replace the
> > backup and that everyting is like before the crash.
> >
> > How can I do this?
> >

> If you have another drive that is larger than the one your system is on, you
> can do something like this (substituting for your corresponding partitions):
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1
>
> or, to save an image if somewhere, dd if=/dev/hda1
> of=/some/other/drive/file.ext

magic ... good idea ... to keep a separate image too ( elsewhere )

problem w/ simple  dd'ing
	eg. dd if=/dev/hda1  of=/dev/hdb1

a.  if hda1  and hdb1 is different sizes .. you're dead
    unless you like fiddling to make it fit/work
		since the other option was norton ghost, i suspect
		you want it done easily/trivially and that it works

b.  if all files on hda1 was good today ... and you dd'd it, than
	over the next day/weeks ... things get worst and nosier...

	and along the way.. you keep dd'ing your supposed new
	files you wanna keep ..  along w/ the rest of your files,
	you might be saving the new files, but with a degrading/dying
	disks, you have a high probability your good data on backup is
	being wiped out by the worsen'ing bad disks' dd'ing

	if you are like most people w/ 40GB or 100GB or 1TB of disks
	space and only using 10% of it... why are you wasting 90% of your
	time dd'ing "unsused" space  to backup ??

c.  find | tar  or equivalent is 10x better/faster/easier than dd'ing

== use incremental backups ... and multiple copies of it and never
   overwrite last weeks or last months data, unless oyu are willing
   to forever lose it .. ( ie.. you know your current system is clean and
   up to date with no missing inodes of files )

c ya
alvin