Re: Is it safe to automatically update with cron?

* Danie Roux (droux@tuks.co.za) [030519 00:23]:
> I have a woody server, with security.debian.org in the sources.list.
>
> Is it safe to put:
>
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> In cron (daily, for example)?

I wouldn't do it.  I've heard of people doing just the 'dselect update'
and then shooting off an email if there's anything interesting, and then
doing the actual upgrade interactively after they get an email.

My personal approach is to subscribe to debian-security-announce and do
the rest manually.

good times,
Vineet
--