Testing release w/ gcc 3.2.3 & 2.2.20 kernel

I am trying to compile the 2.2.20 kernel on a testing release.  The
compiler is gcc 3.2.3 20030415.  I am running into compile time errors
and kernels that oops just after the POSIX check very early in the
boot process.  Do I just have an invalid configuration or does this
combination not work?

Note: I prefer to stay with the 2.2 series.  This is on a 25MHz 486.
The benchmarks I have read indicate that 2.2 is faster on old hardware
than 2.4.

Should I go to the 2.2.25 kernel or downgrade gcc (presumably to
2.95.x?)

TIA,
  Jeffrey