    [wohler@olgas:593]$ sudo locale-gen
    Generating locales...
      en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
      en_US.ISO-8859-15... done
      en_US.UTF-8... done
    Generation complete.
    [wohler@olgas:594]$ locale -a
    POSIX

Shouldn't "locale -a" list the locales that locale-gen created? If so,
why do you suppose it isn't? This was working for me on another system:
I had a script that used en_US if "locale -a" showed it was around;
otherwise C. But it's always returning C now (as you can see above).

Also, to use the ISO-8859-15 charset (with Euro support), I should
blather LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-15, for example, right? When I so this,
Emacs reports:

  Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Is this a bug that needs reporting? Or user error? ;-) Note that the use
of ISO-8859-1 does not yield this error.

FYI: locales package is from sarge.