X keyboard layout

Hi list...

I've got a german keyboard and got running XFree86 4.2.1.1. I've
configured the german keyboard layout via debconf and it's working fine.

Now, sometimes I have to type text in Czech and therefor i wanna change
the keyboard layout only for one program (AbiWord or openoffice) for
example. I've tried "export LANG=cs_CZ ; abiword" that changes the
language of the program itself but not the keyboard layout.

My question: Is there any way to change the keyboard layout while
running X? Or is the only way to do this to reconfigure and restart the
whole X-Server?

Regards
  Sebastian.