Re: Permissions problem on lp?

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 11:55:40PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I have devfsd installed, and its given the /dev/printers/0 owner and group
> rights of root.lp

Correct setting
$ ls -l /dev/printers/0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/printers/0

> its given /dev/lp0 symlink the owner.group of root.root and mod lr_xr_xr_x

Correct setting
$ ls -l /dev/lp0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 May 18 20:45 /dev/lp0 -> printers/0

> the configuration file for cupsd gives owner.group of lp.sys

My cupsd.conf has lp.sys as the user and group the server runs under.

> I have created a cups printer parallel:/dev/lp0

Set cupsd error logging to debug or debug2 and then check error log to see
what is reported.

Here is mini-HOWTO on setting up cups on Debian/GNU:
http://mumford1.dyndns.org/~bs7452/linuxhelp/cups.html

--
Jerome