problem connecting Debian 3.0 to OpenBSD NAT box

Okay, I give up.
I have an OpenDSB NAT box, with 2 NICs:

dc0 = dhcp assigned from router upstream, (usually assigned as 192.168.1.102)
sis0 = 10.0.0.1 (manually assigned)

I have a client box which I want to connect to the internet through the OpenBSD NAT box as a "pass-through" to the client box. When I start up the client box using LNX-BBC 2.1, it works fine, manually assigning (using "trivial-net-setup") to eth0 at the client box:

ip address:          10.0.0.2
gateway:             10.0.0.1
network:              10.0.0.0
netmask:             255.255.255.0
broadcast:           10.0.0.255
nameserver:        24.x.x.x  (at the upstream ISP)

But . . .
When I start the same client box using Debian 3.0. I try to connect to the NAT box manually entering the information in "netenv" during the startup process. It looks for the interfaces, but it stalls at that point until I ctrl-c. Then it finishes the boot process. After that, when i ping, here's what I get:

eth0 (10.0.0.2): OK (client box) sis0 (10.0.0.1): OK (NAT box) dc0 (192.168.1.102 [currently]): NO CONNECT (NAT box)

Note: "netenv" does not ask what the gateway should be (should be 10.0.0.1).

Note: the route command shows an * under "gateway". Note: when I physically re-cable to bypass the NAT box and connect the client box directly to the router upstream (192.168.1.1), the cleint box connects to the outside world just fine.

I have exhaustively re-configured the "netenv" configuration files, and a number of other configuration files, but I just can't seem to get Debian to ping past 10.0.0.1. Is there some way to get Debian to understand that dc0 (192.168.1.102) is a gateway, and not a brick wall? If LNX-BBC can, shouldn't Debian be able to?
Thanks for any help you can give.