keyboard remapping and compilation

I would be interested in remapping my keyboard layout, especially the windows
key which is currently useless. Can anyone point me to the right direction ?
I have found no useful howto in my woody (there are some, but are obsolete).
Is there something graphical (i.e. not xmodmap) to do the job? I have also
heard that I can compile my keymap directly into the kernel, is it true ?
--
saluti,  Mauro

On this machine no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.