Re: IPtables error

* Tim (helycos@lycos.co.uk) [030516 10:56]:

> Hi,
>
> Need I be concerned about the following errors?
>
> during startup
>
> Aborting IPtables load: unknown ruleset, "active"
>
> and its opposite during shutdown:
>
> Aborting IPtables load: unknown ruleset "inactive"

Probably not.  Are you using iptables?  Are you using the iptables init
script?  Did you say you would like to use the iptables init script when
debconf asked you?  Have you saved any "active" and "inactive" rulesets
for the iptables init script to load?

(I would guess the answers to the last 3 questions I asked are "no",
"yes", and "no").

If you're using iptables but already have another script that sets up
your rulesets, your best bet is probbly to deactivate the iptables init
script:  dpkg-reconfigure iptables

If you're not using iptables at all, you might just want to remove the
package:  dpkg -r iptables

If you're not yet using iptables, but would like to, and want to use the
iptables init script, set some rules using the iptables command, then
use "/etc/init.d/iptables save active" to "commit" these changes, so
that the iptables init script will load them at the next boot for you.
You can also save an "inactive" ruleset in a similar way.  This ruleset
will be applied when "/etc/init.d/iptables stop" is called, which is
normally when you're shutting down.

If you're not using iptables, but would like to, and want to craft your
own script (for example, to be run as a script from /etc/network
interfaces when bringing the interface up or down), disable the init
script with 'dpkg-reconfigure iptables' and write your own script.

good times,
Vineet

--
http://www.doorstop.net/