Re: Setting default printing across applications

Thanks again - your persistence is appreciated ;-)

On (16/05/03 16:30), Gee Law wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:11:26PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:

> > > print_command perhaps?
> > >
> > > e.g.
> > >
> > > # muttprint stuff
> > > set print_command="muttprint"
> > >
> > I've made progress of sorts - set print_command="muttprint"  The
> > muttprint man page recommends that you set the name of the printer
> > because lp doesn't work - so I've named the printer Epson in
> > /etc/Muttprintrc.
> >

> Do you have the muttprint documentation package installed? It has step
> by step instructions. Here are the relevant lines from my .muttrc:
Yes - man muttprint instructs changing the printer name to the cups name
of the printer because apparently lp doesn't worr for Cups users?

> set print_command="muttprint"
> set print="yes"
> macro index p <display-toggle-weed><print-message><display-toggle-weed><exit>
> macro pager p <display-toggle-weed><print-message><display-toggle-weed>

I had the first two lines; I've now added the last two.

> You need to have set print="yes" otherwise it won't work (see the manaul).
> From what I understand you need to set PRINT_COMMAND to lp in .muttprintrc.
> You shouldn't need to change PRINTER.
>

> > When I print a message in mutt it says it has printed but nothing happens.
> > I tried $ lpq -P Epson which returned "lpq: Epson: unknown printer"
>
> The printer name that the man{ual,page} is referring to is the system
> printer names, i.e. the names in /etc/printcap.cups

I have two printers in /etc/printcap.cups: Epson(local) and HydraHP(network)

> It's strange that lpr doesn't work and lp does.
>

> > lpq contains, I guess, all of the messages I've tried to date so they
> > are spooling but getting lp to print to the Epson seems to be the
> > problem.

Is there a work around whereby I can force the printing of what's in the
print queue (lpq)?

Regards

Clive

www.clivemenzies.co.uk - strategies for business