Re: Making Debian Packages from tar ball files

(debian-mentors might be a better mailing list for this.)

moseley@hank.org writes:

> I'm just building a .deb, so I'm using:
>     fakeroot debian/rules binary
>
> This generates a few warnings:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
> /usr/local/lib/libswish-e.so.2 (libswish-e.so.2)

If you have dependencies on things installed locally, that'll cause
problems for the generated package.  I'd remove the library in
/usr/local/lib; if your package really does depend on it, you might
need to package other libraries.  (I'm not clear if the Debian swish-e
package provides the library you need or not.)

> dh_gencontrol
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}

Do you actually have anything in the misc:Depends line in
debian/$PACKAGE.substvars?  It looks like the only thing that might go
there is debconf, if you call dh_installdebconf; if you don't have
anything, it's fine to remove that particular dependency from your
control file.

> Next, how do I test the package?

I always just install the package as root to test;

> What I'd like to do is:
>
>     $ dpkg --root=$HOME/test1 -i swish-e_2.3.6-1_i386.deb

almost certainly a lost cause, unless you have a working chroot
environment in $HOME/test1.

> Which makes sense since.  Can I initialize a local package system for
> testing?  Or is it enough to look at <package-src>/debian/<package>
> directory to see what will be installed?

Digging around in debian/$PACKAGE is quite reasonable, if you're not
convinced you have the right files in the right places.

	-- Abra Mitchell