Re: Big problems w/ writing any type of cdrom

Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Carl Fink, thanks for you're help so far!
> I just tried the diff program on both the
> cdrom/cd_image and cdrom/source dir - and neither have
> a difference, except files in the source dir I know
> aren't in the cdimage as they were added later.
>
> Now, I try to copy files from the cdrom back onto my
> /tmp - and there are NO errors (!!) I tried on a
> laptop before which has problems each time; is it
> possible the cd can't be successfully read by the
> laptop I tried on because of problems with the laptop
> itself ?? Does it need special programs or something -
> or does this mean something is malfunctioning there?

Many older cdrom drives can't read CD-Rs and (especially) CD-RWs. I
remember an old computer I had that always had trouble with CD-Rs (I
had to tip the computer over at a 30 degree angle for it to read
properly).

Most CD-ROM drives nowadays are something called "multi-read capable"
or something like that. Which means they can read CD-R and CD-RW. But
for a long time that wasn't the case.

Hope that helps,
Bijan