Re: sid upgrade today & now nothing works

On 03-05-16 08:22 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> If it has already spit out a bunch of errors, you already have a
> conclusion. No need to run it any longer.

Thanks again, Kent. & Thanks Henrique.

I let it go overnight anyway & ended up with close to 2 million errors in
a little over 7 hours. There are two "sticks" of memory, 256MB each.
Randomly I pulled one & restarted memtest86... no errors in the first
1.5 hours. Thinking maybe the one I pulled wasn't bad, but only needed
to be reseated, I tried putting it back in. The laptop won't even try to
boot with that RAM in there now. Well, I can deal with 256MB for
awhile.. I'm re-running the test on the remaining stick more thoroughly
now

> >I have enabled 2.4.20 kernel ACPI since this time last year and
> >/proc/sys/thermal or whatever it is exists as a directory but is empty
> >(and /proc/whatever/fan doesn't exist at all)
> >
> >sourceforge patches for that stuff were recently discussed on -laptop..
> >do you think I just need to install those?
>
> Having a real-time temperature monitor is a good thing.

OK, I suppose it is. The thing is alarmingly hot on my lap, when I
actually use it that way. I'll look into the patches.