RE: howto get and install "testing" release

heres how I got to sid.

did the first part of the install from the CD's (potato)(only installed core
x system, c and c++) then installed dhcp-client (so I could grab the rest
via our network), edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file, uncommenting and
changing the first two entries.
eg:

before:

#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-us stable/non-US main contrib
non-free

after:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-us sid/non-US main contrib non-free

ran  - apt-get update
then - dselect update (when I just ran this without apt-get before it
wouldnt merge the new files in)
then - dselect install

rebooted (i couldn't startx at this point, it was throwing a wobbler about
the first line in the fonts section of XF86Config ("unix/:7100"))

and then ran

apt-get install kde

installed kde 3.1.1, logged in, typed startx and kde 3.1.1 started up.
It is a little slow I have too admit, although not significantly worse than
kde2.x.
I'm running a Cybernex Notebook(shocking piece of leg breaking technology)
P200MMX, with 64MB ram, need to up the ram as this does limit what I can do,
but if I dont have to many intensive programmes running at once its fine.

hth

tim