Re: RAM chip problem, my Debian talks on console.

Miranda, Joel Louie M wrote:

Hello,

Im running a Compaq Proliant 2500. Its an old machine.
I just installed it this morning, well I just got this error from my
kern.log
And console anyone know what this means? Hey my Debian box talks on console,
neat! :)

-- error
May 17 03:31:18 web kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but
trying to continue
May 17 03:31:18 web kernel: You probably have a hardware problem with your
RAM chips
-- end

Thanks,
Louie

According to this thread:
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=Uhhuh.+NMI+received+for+unknown+reason+3c.&list=80

it sounds like your mobo has generated a parity error. A suggestion was to use a pencil eraser to "clean" the contacts on your RAM sticks and try again.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)