Re: Installation

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 19:49, David Jardine wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:01:06PM -0400, Katystephan@aol.com wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> > J'ai un alphaserver 1000A, qui est plant? (?cran bleu), sur une installation
> > pr?c?dente NT. Je n'acc?de pas non plus au menu de d?marrage de la machine
> > pour une installation quelconque. Je voudrais installer Debian . Quelles sont
> > les solutions ?
> > Je vous remercie de vos r?ponses
>
> I don't even know what an alphaserver is, but for an Intel
> machine I would:
>
> 	- get a Debian (or Knoppix) CD and put it in the drive
> 	- switch the machine off
> 	- switch it on again and go into the BIOS (press delete)
> 	- change the boot sequence to CD-ROM first in the BIOS
> 	- let the machine reboot
> 	- follow the instructions
>
> And the best of luck.
>
> David
>
> --
> David Jardine
> "Running Debian/GNU Linux and
> loving every minute of it." -Sacher M.

An AlphaServer is a product of Hewlett-Packard (previously of Compaq,
originally Digital Equipment Corporation) built around the Alpha family
of RISC processors. Definitely not an Intel type machine.

Woody has an Alpha edition, and information on it and its installation
can be found at http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/ The one consideration
I would offer the OP is that the AlphaServer 1100a is not explicitly
listed as working or not working, although the 2100a does not. With
luck, things will be close enough that it will work fine - otherwise,
the OP may be having fun working on porting some aspects.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org