Re: dual booting

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 20:34, james leclair wrote:
> Hello. Starting to get comfortable with Debian and am now looking to setup
> a dual boot with W2K. I will be starting fresh with a 20GB HD. So, I assume
> I would install windows first. Is this correct? Also, what reccomendations
> could anyone make regarding my linux partitions? 10 GB of this drive will
> be committed to windows, so, of the remaining 10 GB what should my deb
> partitions look like? Thanks all!

Depends on how much RAM you have and what you are planning to run, and
whether you feel that it is important to split the disk up
substantively. Although you can theoretically run without swap if you
wish to and sufficient memory is there, I don't think anyone would
recommend that unless you were dealing with severely limited constraints
of an embedded system. Beyond that, while some run the balance of the
system on one Linux partition, that isn't the best idea for everyone.
How you split things depends on numerous considerations of how you use
the system - if it is a workstation, there will be more space needed for
/usr for the workstation software (eg, X11, one or more window managers,
all manner of interactive software.) /home will also need more space as
a workstation, as whatever you plan, big surprise, you will accumulate
files.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org