Re: Window Maker and KDE

James Bemis <jbemisNY@netscape.net> writes:

> Just installed  debian and KDE, first experience with Linux.  Had
> video problem using KDE, though (only 640x400), and started over with
> a new motherboard.

Note that KDE, in the grand scheme of things, isn't that special.
There's a lower layer (the X server) that is actually responsible for
interacting with your video hardware, for example.  You can run other
X applications even if you have a KDE desktop; you can even run GNOME
applications if that suits your fancy.

> Question: smartx-wmaker allows easy installation of new packages.  Can
> I use wmaker Window Manager for one user, and KDE for another user?
> Would one want to do that?

Usually which window manager you use is something of a personal
preference, so if you had multiple (real-people) users, this would be
an entirely reasonable thing to set up.  I'm not sure if there's a
good way beyond having people edit their ~/.xsession files:

  #!/bin/sh
  # .xsession: programs to run on X login
  exec wmaker

> How would I install packages using KDE?

I wouldn't "use KDE" for this at all.  My recommendation would be to
use aptitude; you'd need to run that as root either from a console
login or from a terminal window.  'apt-get install aptitude' if you
don't already have it.

...but pretty much unless a program is advertised as an "applet" or
"docklet", it doesn't actually matter what desktop environment you
use.  So if you think a "Window Maker-themed" program suits your
needs, go ahead and try using it.

	-- Abra Mitchell