Re: cryptoapi

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net> writes:

[...]

Robert>   cryptoapi-core-source_0.1.0-2_all.deb
Robert> cryptoloop-source_0.0.0+0.0.1-pre1-6_all.deb
Robert> kernel-patch-scripts_0.99.22_all.deb
Robert> cloop-utils_0.68-4_i386.deb

cloop-utils is for *compressed* loopback -- not encrypted loopback.  It
is not needed.  You don't really need any special utilities for
cryptoapi, other than a properly patched mount (which it seems Debian's
mount is already patched).

Robert> I installed the first three - I'll leave cloop-utils (the
Robert> utilities) until later once I get a working cryptoloop
Robert> module. The thing is, "modprobe cryptoloop" doesn't yet do
Robert> anything. Do I need to recompile the kernel to make this module?

Yes, you need to recompile the kernel.  You should get the kernel
sources (a kernel-source-* package), and the kernel-package package.
(You can do it without kernel-package, but it's easier to compile with
it.)  It's probably a good idea to install the fakeroot package too, so
you don't have to compile as root.

The cryptoloop-source includes a patch called "loop-jari", which needs
to be applied to the kernel.  The cryptoapi and cryptoloop module
sources are in /usr/src/crypto*.tar.gz.  The best thing to do is to
look through the kernel-package documentation and find out how to use
it to apply patches, compile the kernel, and compile external modules.
This will produce some .deb packages that you can install.  Then boot
up with the new kernel, and you should be able to use the crypto
modules.  If you get stuck, ask back here, and someone will help you
out.

One tip: you can find the kernel config for your current kernel
(assuming it's a Debian-produced kernel) under /boot/config-*.  Copy
that file into the kernel source tree as .config.  This gives some
reasonable defaults for most of the options.  For cryptoloop, you'll
also have to make sure that loopback support is enabled.  I don't know
if it's enabled under the Debian default kernels.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA