Re: 2 quick questions

--- "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:
> Thanks to Ron (can remember your last name), in
> helping me get this far.
>
> I'm using sarge right now, in my sources.list, and
> I'm trying to get
> mplayer.
>
> When I run "apt-get install mplayer", I get "package
> not found". Yet I
> can go to apt-get.org and it's there.
>
> How do I go about getting it, to install?

my suggestion would try either of these methods.

apt-cache search mplayer, and itll search all the pkgs
for that word to see if in reality its called
mplayer2-dev  or something etc.

Otherwise just head over to www.debian.org and goto
package listing and search yourself for it :)  If its
not available there, then more then likely theres no
.deb for that application, then youd need to find a
tarball or something simliar and install from source.

> My second question, for a friend with a laptop,
> seriously considering
> moving from xp to debain, will mplayer play DVD's?
> If not, what
> application(s) should I look for?
>
> Thanks.

Well since mplayer doesnt play dvds in windows, at
least it never has for me, i dont see a related
version being able to do that in linux, not sure
though.  Try heading to  www.freshmeat.net    And just
search their pkgs for something like dvd player etc.

gl mate