Re: 2 quick questions

On 03-05-14 08:07 -0700, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I'm using sarge right now, in my sources.list, and I'm trying to get
> mplayer.
>
> When I run "apt-get install mplayer", I get "package not found". Yet I
> can go to apt-get.org and it's there.
>
> How do I go about getting it, to install?

apt-get.org doesn't represent the official repository, but instead is a
list of unofficial packages and backports. packages.debian.org is where
you can search the official packages. When you look up mplayer on
apt-get.org, it gives you a line to add to your sources.list -- in this
case, for sarge:

deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main

note, it's been traditionally recommended to compile mplayer from
source. http://marillat.free.fr provides a deb-src line:

deb-src http://perso.wanadoo.fr/debian/ unstable main

but, personally, using unstable, I haven't really had any problems with
the binaries. Sometimes a DVD will stop working part-way through (with
dozens of "your computer is too slow to play this" popup messages) & ogle
will work better for that particular disc

whichever way you choose to go, add the line to sources list, 'apt-get
update' & try installing one of:

mplayer-386 1:0.90-0.0 (i386)
mplayer-686 1:0.90-0.0 (i386)
mplayer-k6 1:0.90-0.0 (i386)

& maybe
mplayer-mozilla 0.60-0.1 (i386)

> My second question, for a friend with a laptop, seriously considering
> moving from xp to debain, will mplayer play DVD's? If not, what
> application(s) should I look for?

mplayer or ogle. Depending on the disc, I've sometimes had better luck
with one or the other.