Re: Epson Stylus C82 "Printer not connected", nothing prints

I had a similar problem with an HP LaserJet2100.
With dmesg I could see

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: faking semi-colon
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 2100 Series

but the problem was that although I compiled the parallel port driver, I had not compiled the parallel printer support in the kernel (inside submenu Caracter devices). Just when I compiled and installed the modules the printer started to print.

André Muezerie

Ruchira Datta wrote:

I have a Debian Gnu/Linux 3.0 box, dual boot with Windows 2000, on which
I'm running Cups v. 1.1.15 with gimp-print v. 4.2.5.  When I add my
Epson Stylus C82, it claims to have added it successfully.  The
connection was through "Parallel Port #1 (Epson Stylus C82)", since when
I booted the parport module had detected my printer:
dmesg said
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
parport0: irq 7 detected
parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus C82
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp0: console ready
If I say ls -l /dev/lp0 I get
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     lp         6,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/lp0
The CUPS admin claims the Printer State is
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
and the printer is connected through
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0
But whenever I try to print a test page, first it says
"Printing page 0, 7%"
then eventually it says
"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
This never changes and nothing ever gets printed.  Furthermore, nothing
happens if I say
echo "stuff" > /dev/lp0
although I don't know if I should expect it to.  I know it is not the
case that the printer actually is not connected, since whenever I reboot
to Windows I can print everything just fine.
ADVthanksANCE,
Ruchira Datta
datta at math dot berkeley dot edu

I have one of these C82's running successfully on Debian 3.0.  I
am using the USB port and the drivers from Epson, found here:
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/pips_e.html
There is a driver here for CUPS and one for LPR.  My setup
uses the LPR driver.
tony