Re: newbie question (user readable dirs)

"Ross Tsolakidis" <rtsolakidis@powerserve.com.au> writes:

> Sorry about this newbie question, but how do I stop users from being
> able to read and do dir listings outside of their own home dir ?

You can't.  There really are useful things outside of users' home
directories that they need to read, like, say, /bin/ls.

> Basically, when a user ssh's in, they can cd out of their home dir
> and view other stuff, I don't want this to happen.

Are there particular things you don't want to be seen?  You should
probably set the permissions on those files to be less restrictive.
But if you're worried that somebody will see something in
/usr/share/doc and use it to break your system, you might be better
off not allowing them to log in at all.

> This email is from PowerServe Australia Pty Limited (A.C.N. 102 661 441)

(*several lines of useless legal drivel snipped*)  Can you send mail
in a way that doesn't add this?  You're sending to a public list...

	-- Abra Mitchell