Re: newbie question (user readable dirs)

* Ross Tsolakidis <rtsolakidis@powerserve.com.au> [030514 12:17]:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry about this newbie question, but how do I stop users from being able to read and do dir listings outside of their own home dir ?
> Basically, when a user ssh's in, they can cd out of their home dir and view other stuff, I don't want this to happen.

To remove read access to existing files (for users who don't own them):

chmod -R og-r /home

To make sure new files are not readable edit /etc/profile and change
"umask 022" to "umask 066".

Please read the man pages for umask and chmod. Note that the "g" in
"og-r" is only needed if the users all have the same primary group
similarly the "066" could be "026" if each user has their own group.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.4.20-looxt93c3 #1 Thu May 8 16:34:25 JST 2003